Monday, August 11, 2008

City to Surf Event



Yesterday I walked in the City to Surf event. The professional & serious runners (red bibs) started the event at 9 a.m. and then those that had run last year under 100 mins (green bibs) and then the blue bibs (first of the general public) at 9.15 a.m and then the yellow bibs (including prams and wheelchairs).

I was in blue bibs group and I can tell you its not a good feeling when someone in a yellow bib, including those running with prams and wheelchairs pass you. I did soon get over it cause there wasn't anything that I could do about it.

I walked the whole 14kms and was happy with how I went. I had been walking the event with a friend Lynda once a month but on the day she and a couple of her friends decided to run/jog the event so for a while I walked by myself. I wasn't too worried about walking by myself cause there where lots of others walking by themselves and later one of her friends Richard stopped jogging and I caught up with him walking and we walked together the rest of the event.

According to my HRM I walked the 14km in 2 hours and 22 mins which I'm rather pleased with. Normally in practice we would walk it in about 2 hours and 45 mins. I think Lynda was a little surprised when she saw me cross the line when I did.


Map of the starting points, course map and finishing line.









One of my other friends Shona wants to run at least half of the event and I'm thinking of joining her. Shona lives on the other side of the same suburb as me, so we can train together.

I just have to start jogging/running on a regular basis, and will start the couch to 5 km running program in October when I'm back from my holiday.


Carlton


3 comments:

Chris H said...

WEll done..... I could never run or jog, but I can walk for ages! Maybe I will get back into that soon....

Heather said...

Hey Carlton, that's an excellent time (2hr 22m)for your City to Surf walk! Well done - I walked around the block today...lol. Not quite the same effort as the 14km you walked on Sunday. Go girl! xx

Kimmy said...

Hi Carlton. Great work on the city to surf. You are going so well.

Yeah I have checked out a lot of the blogs, I find it quite motivating to see where everyone was and how far they have come. It's also really great to find that everyone thinks the same sorts of things. (And having them linked on my blog means I know when they have been updated which is great.)