Monday, October 27, 2008

Pink Ribbon Day


Just a timely reminder in Pink Ribbon (October) month to take advantage of this fully government funded service for women.

...if you are over the age of 40 you can book in for a free mammo every two years, no GP referral needed.

Call BreastScreen in your state on 132050 to make your appointment.

Women under 40 need a referral to a diagnostic service as their breast tissue needs more workup and views because it is so dense...and for that you do need a referral...

After age 40 through to old age is the target age for cancer BUT especially between 50-69 the statistics say. Women with implants can also be screened, as well as those with a disability.



Today I went for my first ever mammogram and I survived it.. LOL...

The actual mammogram was a little uncomfortable but only for a few seconds when the pictures were being taken. Then again I am pretty large breasted which could also have something to do with it (an the fact I'm still pretty young i.e. 40 and my breasts could be a bit tender as well).

I actually surprised myself about how calm I was during the 30 mins I was in the room. I don't like how my body looks in clothes let alone naked (you are naked from the waist up) but I found that I didn't focus on it at all during the consultation.

Now I have to wait up to 2 weeks for the results...

Carlton

3 comments:

Chris H said...

Mammograms.. had my first one last year! It was OK, nothing dramatic eh? There was a really elderly lady having her's done at the same time as me, in the room next door. We both came out at the same time, she looked at me and giggled and said "OOOOH I havn't had so much fun in YEARS"... then proceeded to the waiting room to leave with her EXTREMELY old husband! I laughed me head off!

Heather said...

Ooohhh, you're so brave getting tested! I guess there are things I just shouldn't put off, like a colonoscopy and pap smear to name a few. But I'm not so brave - in fact I'm really woossy...

Heather said...

Haha, no I haven't finished painting....and I wonder if we ever will. Just got a few bits left to do, but it seems to elude me... ;) xx