Monday, November 10, 2008

A plan is beginning to form with the help of my Dr....


I've started exercising again, yesterday we walked 2 and from the RSL and I even asked for no chips with my steak sandwich. I did have a few of Brad's but I did allocate points for them. If they had given me a whole serve I would have eaten them and I didn't have the points for them anyway. On the way home from my brothers Brad wanted fish and chips, which is fine. Normally I would have made bad choices at the fish and chip should however this time I made some good choices. Our fish and chip shop have a slimmers pack so I choose that. It is made up of BBQ fish, BBQ 4 prawns, BBQ 5 pieces of squid, some salad and either a bottle of water or soft drink. Its the first time I've actually tried it and it was so yummy and I was glad with my choice.

I had to go to see the Dr this morning as I needed to get some blood test done (check cholesterol, blood sugars, b12 etc). I actually like a Dr that will take the blood themselves instead of making you go to a pathology department. We also decided to test for food intolerance's and allergies.

You could say I'm getting the lot tested.
Well I had a great old chat with the Dr and as I have a family history of Diabetes, heart problems, I'm overweight, high cholesterol, we are putting a whole health plan into place for me.

We spoke about:-
* the importance of exercise,
* eating a healthy diet,
* normal levels of cholesterol & then levels she wants me to be given my family history.
* diabetes (I already have pre-diabetes)
* arteries and how your cholesterol & weight affects how thin or thick your blood flows.
* seeing the Dietitian (another service of this medical centre)
* Low GI diets

* Focusing on measurements and not scales as much.
* what changes she wants me to make to my lifestyle


This is the first Dr I've ever been too that has taken an interest in me, my health and well being and wants to put a plan into place to help me get healthy and slimmer.


I also can't believe that I spend 50 mins with her. I've never spend so long in a Dr surgery before but I do love that she will spend the time with a patient and it doesn't matter how long it was. I was her first patient and she is booked solid today. She's now running late for the rest of the day lol.


I get some of the results back next week, the other the week after and I'm going to see the dietitian on Thursday Night. I want to see the dietitian to give me ideas of better food choices and options depending on the test results.


Our plan so far is:- *
For me to follow a l
ow Gi Plan and cut out or at least down the surgery foods in my diet.
* For me to exercise 60 mins (can be broken down into small chunks) 5 times per week.

* For me to be very strict with my exercise and eating for at least 6 weeks (which will include Christmas I've just realise).
* For me to see the Dietitian for some ideas.

* For me not to weigh myself at home (put the scales away) and to focus on my waist measurements.

She wants it below 84 cm's and its 102 cm's today.


I'm actually feeling pretty good and excited about this right now. Some of the information we spoke about today I already knew but its great to be reminded about it and have a Dr interested in helpi
ng me with my battles.

Now I just have to speak with Brad about all of this when he comes home from work. We need to do this as a team and I need his support.



I bought the above t-shirt in Phuket and I love that it says "McShit" instead of McDonalds. The shirt is a little big for me now and makes me look bigger than I am in this photo.

Carlton

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Its great to have a plan! Sticking with it over christmas will be easy if you decide it will be easy! I am taking my new lifestyle with me at christmas and wouldn't have it any other way!

Anne said...

All sounds a good plan. I like the idea of a slimmers pack at the fish and chip shop. RE: the waist measurement v the scales. I am apple shape, no matter what I do my waist measurement is still to high!

Chris H said...

Isn't it neat when you find a Doctor who actually seems to care and want to help? I wish I had one like that, I've only seen our new doctor once and he didn't even listen to me! Prick.

celtic_girl said...

I love that T-shirt very funny!

Having a caring and interested Dr really makes a difference, I hope all your test come back OK and you continur to do well with everthing.