Thursday, November 27, 2008

My Weight Loss Journey so far & mini goals ahead

Today I've been thinking about lots of different things associated with my weight loss journey. Whilst I'm happy that I have lost nearly 15 kilos I'm not all that happy with the time its taken me and the ups and downs of the journey. Without putting too much pressure on me I think I could have done better and made better choices a long the way.

I've worked it out that with a 15 kilo loss, I have lost approximately 200 grams a week. Now that is a square tub of butter and I know that I am so much healthier without me carrying all of this around, but I did expect to have lost nearly double this amount in this time.

Today I decided that I need a new goal to help me focus on, one that is achievable but also a little bit of a stretch. I'm off to Melbourne at the end of March for the Formula One Grand Prix and I have a few F1 tops I need to get into. They are a smaller size than I take now and whilst they fit me around the shoulders, bust and upper stomach they are tight around my hips and lower stomach. I so want to be able to wear these and have them lose when I go to Melbourne.

I've been thinking about how much I'd love to weigh in Melbourne and that would be 90 kilos, however I'd have to lose 11.5 kilos in 17 weeks and a few days, to get there and I'm sure that is not achievable given my results so far.

So after thin
king about this my news goals are:-

1. To be 98 kilos by the end of December which is about 300 grams per week. I'm yet to weigh in this week but will on Saturday.

2. To be under 93 kilos by the 25 March 2009 when we fly out to Melbourne. This is nearly 400 grams a week over 13 weeks. Surely if I stay focused I can do this....

Exercise is an vital part of any weight loss journey but it is going to have be a vital part of the success of this plan if I am to succeed. In need I will need to force myself to exercise 60 mins a day 5 days a week, like my GP wants me to.

I have been reading my low GI book the past few days and I came across an interesting article which I will summarise as follows:-

If you don't build exercise into your daily life then you will not be able to change your body shape. You can lose weight on any diet without exercise but you are then more inclined to put it back on the moment you slip up with your food or go off the tracks....

The People most likely to keep their weight off
are those who raise their activity levels and make
exercise a natural part of life...

Exercising whilst losing weight will help you to maximise fat loss and makes you leaner faster. Now that's got to be a good thing, I think...

Fit people burn more fat, even when they are not exercising.

Fit people need less insulin to do the job of maintaining healthy blood glocose levels.

Losing weight and exercise will also help to reduce your blood pressure, cholesterol, risk of heart diease and diabeties.


These have all got to be good reasons why I should continue to lose weight and increase my exercise...

Carlton








5 comments:

Kimmy said...

Some really good reasons to get fit there Carlton.

I've also been abit down the last couple of weeks with how slow my journey is. But I realise that had I given up at any of the times I thought about it I would now be even heavier than when I started. And so even if it is sloooooowwwwww, I'm happy. If I give up I go backwards, if I keep plodding along then eventually I wil get there. And so wil you. And I will pick up some good habbits on the way. And also some good firends :)

Chris H said...

Bloody exercise! I did walking only while I lost my weight, then after I got to goal I upped the exercise something shocking... and gained weight. Moderation in all things me thinks.. well that's what I am going to do from now on. YOu are doing bloody well!

boringsahm said...

:( Oh Carlton I'm sorry if I upset you at FX... please forgive me, I was only playing around and never meant to upset you. I'm feeling really bad about it...sorry :(

~closed~ said...

Carlton - you have set great goals for yourself! I can't wait to see the pic of you in Melbourne wearing that shirt! Exercise *is* very important and that's the one thing I can make a gazillion excuses NOT to do, but I have to. Even if it's 30 minutes a day it all adds up.

Anonymous said...

Excercise a natural part of life? Here is a funny story for you. I drove my brother-in-law to the doctor to get an MRI done, and we parked at the wrong hospital. We got directions from that hospital on how to get to the correct hospital.

The way she explained it, it seemed like it was just around the corner. LMAO. We walked 1.5 Miles to the hospital and then 1.5 miles back. I think we got our excercise in for the day. :P

Dennis