Thursday, November 20, 2008

Blood tests results are in...





A few weeks ago I went and had some blood tests done to see how things were going, well results are in and they are pretty good. I'm no longer pre-diabetic and no longer have to take B12 vitamins, pretty happy with that result.



  1. Fasting Glucose was 5.0 (3.0 - 5.5) she's happy with this.
  2. Cholesterol was 5.0 (3.1-5.5) mind you my GP wants to to be below 4 and we are going to work on that via a low GI diet.
  3. Triglycerides is 1.5 (0.5 - 2.0) she also wants to get this down too.
  4. HDL Cholesterol is 1.0 and she wants it below 1.0
  5. LDL Cholesterol is 3.3 (0.0 - 3.5) she also wants this below 2.
  6. Vitamin B12 is 313 (120 - 800) she's happy with this.
  7. Full blood count is normal
  8. My Phosphate is low at 0.77 (.80 - 1.60) and this can be increased by increasing my vitamin D so looks like supplements of vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus are in order.
My GP is pretty happy with my results and wants me to continue with a low GI diet until my waist measurements gets below 85 cm's, wants me to continue walking 60 mins per day and to incorporate food into my diet to bring my cholesterol down. Looks like a dramatic change in my diet is required. I need to make the following changes:-

  • Increase plant foods,
  • Only eat good oils i.e. Olive Oil, Canola oil or avocado.
  • Limit my eggs to 3 per week (easy cause I don't really eat them),
  • Only have chicken without the skin (already do)
  • Drink skim milk
  • Only have 3 serves of red meat a week.
  • What the sugar in yogurt.
  • No butter, dripping. lard or cream. Of this I only have cream and then its low fat, but I can do without it.
  • Increase my eating of fish, seafood, beans
  • No offal including sausages.
  • Snack on nuts but only Walnuts and Almonds.
  • Limit take away and if I do have it ask for it to be cooked without oil.
  • I can not have anything deep fried.
  • Have oats for breakfast and introduce Psyllium Husk or Metamucil into my diet.
Look out Brad food at home is about to change dramatically.

I was also given a referral to see the Dietitian, however as all of my high risk elements have now gone I now need to pay for these appointments and can't get bulk billed. I'm not happy with the Dietitian so far, she has changed the appointment twice now and I am now meant to see her on Monday but there is still not guarantee that will happen. She is meant to ring me on Monday to confirm. If she wants to move it again, then I cancel it all together and see how the tips from the GP, weight watchers and the low GI book I have go.

I've done my exercise for the day, cause I walked the 30 mins to the GP's office and then walked home the long way which takes an hour.

Now I just need the Biopsy results, which I get tomorrow to be negative and I'll be happy.


4 comments:

boringsahm said...

Sounds very good so far and that you have a good GP too. Very simple and sensible suggestions, not telling you to stop eating and go drink shakes or take pills that make you vile (I had a GP tell me that once). Keep it up, your body will love u for it!

boringsahm said...

Sounds very good so far and that you have a good GP too. Very simple and sensible suggestions, not telling you to stop eating and go drink shakes or take pills that make you vile (I had a GP tell me that once). Keep it up, your body will love u for it!

Chris H said...

I have EVERYTHING crossed for you tomorrow... we want NEGATIVE results! NEGATIVE.... is good!

Kimmy said...

Hi Carlton. Just wanted to send you negative vibes for tomorrow. Good results today though. Keep it up!!